Galvin's Chance tower race training: day seven

Give blood

I don't have very good veins apparently. I gave the medical assistant three stabs at getting a sample from me today, but luckily she drew blood first go. I am generally speaking a physical coward but for whatever reason needles don't bother me at all. I was far more worried about removing my T shirt for my ECG and exposing a vast expanse of hairy flesh. I was mortified when the assistant said she have to shave my chest in order to ensure the monitors would stick. Luckily it was just a few very small areas; I had visions of emerging from the procedure looking like an overweight Chippendale.

Blood pressure was a slightly more reassuring 166/103 but still way too high, (although I believe my reading may be a little distorted due to white coat hypertension - i.e. I find being in the clinic stressful). The bottom figure, indicating distolic or resting pressure, needs to be around 80 so I've still got some way to go, but I'd like to think that my efforts so far have had some effect even in just a few days. Nothing awful on the ECG, but the GP will need to take a closer look. I'm going back Friday to discuss all the results.

I'm glad I've got a handle on my health now before it got too late, but I can't say I'm relishing the visits the medical centre; they're making me feel like an old, ill person and I'll have plenty of time for that in a few decades time.

It was another hard and quite scrappy training session, but for over half the 30 minutes I managed two minutes of running for every one of walking which is an improvement over Wednesday. Hopefully Friday I will manage that for the full 30 minutes, although I'll still be behind schedule as by then I ought to be running four minutes and walking one.

But I'm going to take it easy on myself. A week ago was out of breath from tying my shoelaces or putting my socks on so I'm delighted with my progress so far.

Comments

Popular Posts